TAVARES, FL – One last pool play match was completed for the Wayne State College beach volleyball team before moving into the challenge round during the Division II AVCA Small College Beach Championships.
From Hickory Point Beach in Tavares, Florida, the Wildcats competed against Catawba College (NC) on Friday.
Wayne State picked up a 3-2 win over Catawba College followed by a 3-2 loss in the challenge round against Erskine College (SC).
Wayne State College is now 12-6 on the season.
In the victory over Catawba College, Wayne State’s #2 pairing of Kelsie Cada and Jordan McCormick rallied for a 19-21, 21-11, and 15-5 win for the Wildcats. Jessie Brandl and Isabelle Vacek won a close 21-19, 21-18 win in the 3’s duo while Ally Beresford and Brooke Peltz recorded the final WSC win with a 21-14, 21-19 victory at the #4 match.
In the #1 match, Wayne State’s Lauren Jacobsen and Taya Beller fell in a hard fought 22-20, 22-20 contest while Rachel Walker and Maggie Brahmer went all three sets in the #5 pairing before losing 21-16, 17-21 and 15-6.
Wayne State 3, Catawba College 2
1. Arianna Colon / Payton Medich (CAT) def. Taya Beller/Lauren Jacobsen (WSC) 22-20, 22-20
2. Kelsie Cada/Jordan McCormick (WSC) def. Ashley Johnson / Morgan Childress (CAT) 19-21, 21-11, 15-5
3. Jessie Brandl/Isabelle Vacek (WSC) def. Raytchelle Miranda / Christina Knotts (CAT) 21-19, 21-18
4. Ally Beresford/Brooke Peltz (WSC) def. Dara Kane / Hayes Smith (CAT) 21-14, 21-19
5. Ruby Moore / Natalie Rehm (CAT) def. Rachel Walker/Maggie Brahmer (WSC) 21-16, 17-21, 15-6
From the 3-2 loss to Erskine College, two of the five matches went all three sets with one other match going extra points in the challenge round match between the two squads.
Wayne State’s #1 duo of Taya Beller and Lauren Jacobsen won a thrilling match by scores of 23-21, 22-24 and 15-13 while Kelsie Cada and Jordan McCormick cruised in the #2 pairing with scores of 21-12, 21-12.
In the 3’s duo, Erskine posted a 21-17, 23-21 win over Isabelle Vacek and Jessie Brandl and the #4 pairing of Ally Beresford and Brooke Peltz battled before falling 19-21, 23-21 and 15-10. The 5’s pair of Rachel Walker and Maggie Brahmer fell in straight sets 21-10, 21-14.
Erskine College 3, Wayne State 2
1. Taya Beller/Lauren Jacobsen (WSC) def. Morgan Browne / Olivia Browne (ERSK) 23-21, 22-24, 15-13
2. Kelsie Cada/Jordan McCormick (WSC) def. Marissa Possenriede / Emily Gilbert (ERSK) 21-12, 21-12
3. Mallory Carter / Kylie McKean (ERSK) def. Jessie Brandl/Isabelle Vacek (WSC) 21-17, 23-21
4. Allie Carter / MJ Cackett (ERSK) def. Ally Beresford/Brooke Peltz (WSC) 19-21, 23-21, 15-10
5. Maisy Garner / Karina Petrovich (ERSK) def. Rachel Walker/Maggie Brahmer (WSC) 21-10, 21-14
The Wayne State College beach volleyball team will next compete in the Bronze Division on Saturday with matches against Eckerd (Fla.) and Catawba (NC) on the final day of the AVCA Small College Beach Volleyball Championships in Tavares, Florida.