Wahoo Scores Early In Three Quarters, Advances To First-Ever Championship Game

WAHOO – Four teams were narrowed down to two during Class C1 state semifinal competition Friday evening.

#11 Wayne High continued their season into the state semi’s for the first time in program history. Friday night marked the second meeting between Wahoo (#2 seed) and Wayne as the Warriors topped the Blue Devils 47-0 in week one.

Following a scoreless first quarter, Wahoo scored early in each of the remaining quarters to win 21-7 and improve to 12-0 advancing to their first-ever championship game. Wayne saw their six-game winning streak come to an end at 9-3.

Just like in the first meeting, Wayne High held Wahoo scoreless in the first. But the Warriors then scored on each of their first possessions the rest of the game. Senior running back Trevin Luben struck early in the second on a one-yard score. Following a Jesus Zaragoza extra point, Wahoo led 7-0 with 11:25 to play until half.

Senior linebacker Gunnar Jorgensen recorded an interception just before the end of the half not allowing Wahoo the chance to score. Senior defensive back Thomas Waido then picked off Wayne’s senior quarterback Tyrus Eischeid.

At the half, Wahoo led 7-0.

Following a Wayne punt, Wahoo scored two plays later when Luben ran in from a 41-yard run with 9:56 left in the third quarter. Zaragoza knocked through his second extra point to push the Warrior lead to 14-0.

After Zaragoza missed a 40-yard field goal, Wayne High drove down the field and scored their first touchdown against Wahoo on the season when senior running back Blake Bartos ran in from 47-yards. Yair Alcantara kicked in the extra point to pull back within a touchdown. (7-14).

Wahoo then scored once more to start the fourth as Waido crossed the goal line from a yard out on a QB sneak. Zaragoza’s third PAT saw the score remain at 21-7 for a final

Earlier in the evening, #4 Pierce (12-0) dominated #1 Adams Central (11-1), 54-14. Wahoo and Pierce will play at 10:15 a.m. on Tuesday, November 26 for the state championship game.