WAYNE – This year’s fall sports kick off will look a little different as the Wayne Blue Devil Booster Club will be adhering to COVID-19 recommendations and guidelines.
Instead of being in the Jr/Sr High School parking lot, the event will be moved to Kern Track Field and start at 7:30 p.m. on Friday, August 21 with no food being served.
This year’s Booster Club President is Kevin Peterson.
Parents and fans are encouraged to bring their lawn chairs and sit on the football field or in the stands as tables will be lined up along the track for booster sign-ups. Wayne Sport Club memberships, game sponsorships, Blue Devil discount cards and volunteers will be able to sign up for booster club activities.
Fall sport athletes will be introduced while coaches will talk more about their season.
Marcia Dorey is the Booster Club’s secretary while Chad Maas is the treasurer. Other board members include John Magnuson, Tina Sharpe, Lisa Meyer, Audra Miller, Brian Kesting, Matt Munsell, Ryan Dahl and Melissa Urbanec.
The Wayne Blue Devil Booster Club is a non-profit organization administered by adult volunteers. The booster club is made up of members of families, community members and friends of Wayne interested in supporting the Wayne Schools athletic programs in both the Jr/Sr High School and Elementary.
Fundraising activities the booster club hosts include the Blue Devil discount cards, Marty Summerfield golf outing and the Northeast Nebraska Holiday Basketball Tournament.
For those interested in joining the Booster Club can contact any of the board members as contribution levels include Varsity ($50); All Conference ($100); All State ($150) and All American ($250+). These memberships can be mailed to Wayne Blue Devil Booster Club, PO Box 221, Wayne, NE 68787 with checks made payable to ‘Wayne Blue Devil Booster Club’. Debit/Credit cards will also be accepted.
The Booster Club has contributed and continues to contribute to several projects which Friday night will highlight the Kern Track & Field Lighting project where the organization donated $50,000.
Foundation Executive Director, Brandon Foote will also talk more about the new lights at Kern Track as a ribbon cutting will follow Friday night as the lights will be turned on as well once the sun sets.
Other contributions include:
- Provide food for teams on long trips, sponsoring the “Fall Sports Tailgate Party” and “Winter Pep Rally”
- Expanded the weight room along with purchasing equipment for the weight room
- 10-year commitment to the Wayne Schools’ track remodeling project
- Host an Annual Athletic Banquet to honor athletes, cheerleaders and Hall of Fame inductees
- Assist with expenses for state qualifying team members
- Award wish list items to the coaches for their programs
- Award college scholarships to those seniors who participate in three sports each year for all four years of high school (Athlete must have a 3.0 GPA)