WAYNE – A northeast Nebraska State College has joined an area public school towards creating a Students to Teachers Through Educator Pathways (STEP) program.
According to a release from Wayne State College, WSC and Norfolk Public Schools (NPS) will work together during the STEP program which is designed to create a solid career education pathway for higher school students who have a passion for becoming the next generation of teachers.
Among the agreement approved by WSC, NPS and the Nebraska State College System Board of Trustees in March, this partnership embodies equity, affordability and excellence.
Eligible and capable students are given access to college-level pre-professional education courses at a reduced dual credit tuition rate. By completing key pre-professional courses, students will have greater accessibility to a variety of teaching endorsement options and opportunities while at Wayne State College. This will also increase their marketability by adding valuable skill sets to their education to better serve future students and schools.
Norfolk Public Schools has spent the last three years developing a comprehensive career academy program at Norfolk High School. These academies provide opportunities for students to develop college and career readiness skills in 12 different career paths.
While providing outstanding career and college readiness opportunities for Norfolk High School students, the school district is also excited about the hiring potential of the WSC graduates that have participated in this new initiative.
There will be a five-course sequence during the program of study to members of the high school student organization, Educators Rising or other interested students.
- Exploration of Education and Training, a non-dual credit, non-fee based course created and delivered by NPS
- Introduction to Education, a dual credit, fee-based course created by WSC and delivered by either NPS or WSC
- Human Growth and Cognitive Development, a dual credit, fee-based course created by WSC and delivered by WSC or NPS
- PK-12 Instructional Design, a dual credit, fee-based course created by WSC and delivered by WSC or NPS
- NDE Rule 47 Field Experience, a non-fee based, non-dual credit course created and delivered by NPS (in consultation with WSC and to align with Rule 47), which will be delivered during the senior year, recommended to be taken in conjunction with EDU 275 to help students reflect on instructional design elements of classrooms when out in the field.