Tuesday Night Barn Fire Controlled, Structure Burned Quickly

WAYNE – Volunteers with the Wayne Fire Department responded to a barn fire Tuesday evening.

Around 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, a call came in for a barn fire two and a half miles southwest of Wayne (2S, 1W, ½ S).

Fire Chief, Phil Monahan said the cause of the fire was electrical.

“It was an old barn,” said Monahan. “By time we left town here we could see the glow and the time we got there it was totally gone.”

Just the barn and a few straw bales were in the fire..

Roughly 25 volunteers responded to the call as Wayne did call Winside for mutual aid but cancelled them on route. The department spent roughly two hours watering down the barn.

The owner of the property will finish cleaning up the barn.

Chief Monahan added he’ll still be issuing burn permits and adds a message.

“Kind of watching day-by-day by the wind and everything,” Monahan added. “Make sure if they have plug-in heaters to unplug them at night and unplug them during the day when they’re not at home. Don’t use really light extension cords because they’re not made to pull the heaters.”

Like the Wayne Volunteer Fire Department on Facebook or call 402-375-1122 for questions or call 911 for emergencies. The Wayne Fire Hall is located at 510 Tomar Drive.