House At Total Loss Following Friday Night Fire, Rekindled Saturday Morning

WAKEFIELD – Volunteers with the Wayne Fire Department mutual-aided with Wakefield Friday evening for an attic fire.

Allen, Wayne and Wakefield fire crews were called to the fire located at 501 West 1st Street in Wakefield.

The electrical fire started in the second floor and then spread to the attic. No injuries were reported, and the house is now a total loss.

The Wayne Volunteer Fire Department initially were paged out at 6:35 p.m. Friday for a report that a house could smell burnt wiring four and a half miles South of Wayne. A freezer cord melted in the home’s freezer.

Phil Monahan, Fire Chief added they were called between 7:30 – 7:45 p.m. to then mutual aid Wakefield.

“When we got there the fire was all up in the attic,” said Monahan. “They needed more help for people with air packs that could pack up and go inside and besides ground support.”

Monahan sent their ladder truck to Wakefield Friday evening until they finished up south of Wayne.

After the Wayne Volunteer crew left Friday night around 11:30 p.m. in Wakefield the house was still standing, but then rekindled early Saturday morning at 4 a.m. Allen Fire & Rescue joined Wakefield Saturday morning to help with the fire before the Wakefield fire crew left around 11:30 a.m. Saturday.

Wakefield Fire & Rescue Fire Chief Adam Ulrich is warning people to try not to overload electrical circuits.