Home Fire in Westerville Thursday Morning

Home Fire in Westerville Thursday Morning
Home fire in Westerville during the morning of January 30, 2020

UPDATED 1/30/2020 5:05 p.m. Ansley Fire Chief Travis Harrop told KCNI/KBBN on Thursday afternoon that fire fighters and the Nebraska State Fire Marshal believe the fire began due to materials placed nearby a floor furnace in the living room, with the fire mostly contained inside a closet. Harrop said he did not know the extent of the damages but said there is a lot of smoke damage. Ansley Fire crews returned to the station at approximately 4:30 p.m.

WESTERVILLE—A call to a structure fire in Westerville was received by Custer County Dispatch at approximately 10:09 a.m. on Thursday, January 30.

The house fire was located in a home owned by Monte and Michelle Lane near the corner of Main Street (Second Street) and Hancock Street. The Lane family was renting the home to Kristin Fecht and her two kids for the last six months. No one was in the home at the time of the fire.

KCNI/KBBN was on the scene and observed smoke coming from what appeared to be an upstairs bedroom.

We have reached out to the Ansley Fire Chief and Nebraska State Fire Marshal for more information but have not heard back at this time.

Ansley Volunteer Fire Department and Ansley Fire and Rescue crews were on the scene along with mutual aid provided by Mason City, Arcadia, and Broken Bow Rural Fire District.

Fecht said smoke detectors were in the home. A witness on Thursday morning said a mail carrier called 9-1-1 to report the fire and a neighbor went to turn off the propane.