WAYNE – A call was taken on Friday, June 4 by the Wayne Police Department dispatch at 4:47 p.m. as the caller stated a ‘gas main was hit’ on Fairway Circle near the Wayne Country Club.
Fire Chief, Phil Monahan with the Wayne Volunteer Fire Department talked about late Friday afternoon event.
“Just hit by the cable company,” said Monahan. “We were on scene for about three hours and let the gas company do their business by shutting off the gas; then we left.”
No damage was reported from the gas leak as the road had to be closed for about three hours.
“That gas line, I think, according to Black Hills Energy, was a 60-pound gas line, high pressure,” Monahan added. “So, it was coming out of there pretty good and we weren’t letting anybody drive through it just for fear of an explosion.”
If a gas line is hit, the Wayne Volunteer Fire Department will be on scene for 2 – 3 three hours just monitoring it until the gas is shut-off.
Joining the Wayne Volunteer Fire Department last Friday, was the Wayne Police Department and Black Hills Energy along with the City of Wayne Street Department providing barricades to block off the road.
Also, no burn permits are being issued with the current weather.
“Zero,” Monahan mentioned. “It’s way to dry and like Sunday with the wind that came up and everything we are not putting anything out. It looks like this for the next couple of weeks even they’re talking up in the 90s. As of right now, there are no burn permits being issued.”