WAYNE – A late Friday afternoon dumpster fire at Discount Furniture in Wayne was held in check due to a fast response from Wayne, Carrol and Winside fire departments.

Initial responders found visible flames behind the building that burned nearby grass and threatened a warehouse. While the initial blaze was quickly extinguished, firefighters remained on the scene checking nearby buildings for extension.

Wayne Fire Chief Phil Monahan said nothing was wrong with the building, but they were worried about the propane tank that was filled that day. Mutual aid was requested since the flames were as high as the trees.

He added a volunteer firefighter is doing fine who was sent to the hospital.

“They just became a little overheated and everything,” said Monahan. “I took precautions and had him sent to the hospital to be checked out. They were back on scene before we had left the scene even.”

Crews responded to the fire around 6:25 p.m. and left about 8:45 p.m.

Owners Randy and Sarah Surber say they have an extra reason to be thankful this season – expressing appreciation to all of the firefighters, law enforcement, EMTs and especially the individuals who reported the blaze.

Discount Furniture opened for business as usual Saturday morning. Randy and Sarah are also expressing gratitude to their many friends and customers who have reached out to them, expressing concern.