WAYNE – As community spread cases continue to show up in Nebraska, officials with the Northeast Nebraska Public Health Department would like their residents to take personal responsibility for slowing the spread of the coronavirus.
NNPHD serves residents in Cedar, Dixon, Thurston and Wayne counties. Health officials released an update this past weekend.
For those who have a fever of 100.4 degrees or higher, cough, shortness of breath or trouble breathing, sore throat or extreme tiredness are asked to stay home and away from others until told to do otherwise by your doctor or the public health department.
Also, all travelers have an increased risk of COVID-19 infection as some travel areas have a higher infection rate than others. For those who recently traveled, make sure to contact the health department for further direction and, if symptoms would appear, stay home and away from others and contact your doctor.
Not everyone will receive COVID-19 testing due to limited capacity for supplies and facilities. Medical providers and the public health will make the decision about your need to be tested based on the situation.
Residents who are over the age of 60, have underlying health conditions or have other health factors that put you at an increased risk for illness are asked to take extra measures. Minimize exposure to others, avoid travel, practice very strict handwashing and cleaning of surfaces that are frequently touched.
It is also advised to have a two-week supply of food, goods and medications on hand but do not purchase more than you need.
Basic steps to follow to help stop the spread of the virus:
- Stay at home if you’re sick
- Avoid close contact with people (maintain six feet distance as able)
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water aren’t available, use an alcohol-based sanitizer
- Avoid touch your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze then throw the tissue in the trash
- Clean and disinfect objects and surfaces that are touched often
- Avoid crowds. Do not gather in groups of more than 10 people
- Avoid all unnecessary travel
Visit www.nnphd.org, call 402-375-2200 or like Northeast Nebraska Public Health Department on Facebook for more information. Also, check waynedailynews.com regularly and select the COVID-19 Resource Page under the ‘News’ tab. Updated information is posted by the local health department, Providence Medical Center, DHHS and the CDC. The DHHS coronavirus call-in line is 402-552-6445 for general questions.